|Permanent Mission of Greece to the United Nations
We have the honor to invite you to a special event on “Jazz Democracy” at the United Nations Headquarters on Monday, April 30th 2018,
Trusteeship Chamber Hall, 6.30-8.30pm
(guests should arrive by 6:15pm)
Presented by Dimitri Vassilakis
''Jazz Democracy’’ is a talk/performance to showcase how jazz has become global and has embraced the broad democratic values that were first established in ancient Greece.
The presentation focuses on concept elements in a jazz performance that can be utilized and embraced when we approach work environment, social or political issues. It will comment on education, connection with other arts plus new technologies in art and society and the ongoing dialogue with artificial intelligence. This global event coincides with International Jazz Day celebrations supported by UNESCO and April jazz appreciation month by the Smithsonian Institute.
– Maria Theofili, Permanent Representative of Greece to the UN
– Stavros Lambrinidis, European Union’s Special Representative for Human Rights and ex-minister of Greek Foreign Affairs
– Dave Liebman, NEA jazz master, founder and artistic director of IASJ International Association of Schools of Jazz
– Spike Wilner, Smalls and Mezzrow 2 historic NY jazz clubs owner and acclaimed jazz pianist
– Jeff «Tain» Watts, celebrated top drummer worldwide
– Gil Weinberg, head of robotics and AI at Georgia Tech Music department
– Alan Bates: Director of historic jazz label Candid Records (will appear on video or skype)
– Jeanne Bresciani: director of Isadora Duncan International Institute New York IDII
– Lydia Venieri: Greek visual artist living in New York
– Bill Milkowski and Aidan Levy: Downbeat, Jazz Times, jazz critics, authors, Jazz Journalist Association
– Dimitri Vassilakis will coordinate talk and perform with a stellar line up of international jazz musicians
Jazz Democracy International Ensemble:
David Liebman, Jeff «Tain» Watts, Benito Gonzales, Essiet Essiet, Spike Wilner, Craig Bailey, Sylvia Cuenca, Dimitri Vassilakis and international jazz musicians living and studying in New York
While it is our honour to invite you, it will be our pleasure to have your experts, colleagues, family and friends with us.
Dimitri VassilakisJazz Democracy © 2013
“Jazz Democracy NPO”is a non-profit organization dedicated to organize open discussions, forums, performances educational activities and workshops to deliver and spread the jazz and democracy spirit through the global community.
“Jazz Democracy” @
TEDx Tokyo jam session
Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce